Our own CRE’s efforts in Granville, Ohio were the talk of the town this week. Also in the news, student debt get’s more challenging, but many smart people are coming up with new policy solutions to consider, and communities worldwide are using renewable energy to support the local economy, and Ohio finds economic support through New Market Tax Credits, and local food!
And last but definitely not least, the Columbus community continues to rally around a small group of Somali students working hard to save their summer reading program. If you haven’t seen this inspiring video yet- do that ASAP! You can also read more about this valiant community effort in the Somali Press after the jump.
We are terribly grateful to all of our friends, family, neighbors, and colleagues that have contributed so far to our campaign to save the summer reading program at the Providence Glen community. Each one of your donations- from $10 to $100, has meant the world to us and these kids. We do want to give a special shout out on today’s blog to our Scholar donors– jmontanaro, pfetta, am692, hindmanhd, and Anonymous!!! Thank you for your generosity!
In the News
- Save Summer Literacy at Providence Glen (The Somali Press)
- Providence Glen crowdfunding literacy (WCRS)
- $30B energy, water spending bill passes House, 227-198 (The Hill)
- From West Virginia to Ohio, food fuels the local economy (USDA Blog)
- Finance Fund receives $2 million in Ohio New Market Tax Credits (PR Newswire)
- Senators introduce bill to separate trading activities from big banks (New York Times)
Paying for an education becomes increasingly more difficult. We’ve been reading all about this challenge for our youth and future generations, but we’ve also spent quite some time learning about possible solutions!
- Student loan deal reached in Senate threatens to raise future costs (Huffington Post)
- Oregon trail to end student debt (The Nation)
- Every day is student debt day for Millennials (The Roosevelt Institute)
Communities developing through renewable energy- always one of our favorite topics to read about! For more renewable energy specific news, don’t forget to check out what our friends at Community Renewable Energy have been reading this week as well!
- Community solar power system under study (Newark Advocate)
- Connecticut introduces solar leasing via public-private partnership (Renewable Energy World)
- 500,000 households to be solar powered in peru (PV-Tech)
- The kickstarter of solar gets ambitious with military housing installation (Forbes)
Research, Analysis and Other Fun Stuff
- Four new approaches to ultra thin silicon (Renewable Energy World)
- Government – Not business has been the source of breakthrough innovation (Economic Policy Institute- Working Economics)
- Solar costs and grid prices on a collision course (Renewable Energy World)