We have to end this week with a big congratulations to our friends at Digital Data Divide (DDD) who received a Google Innovation Award for Education Training and Business Process Outsourcing! (All Africa) To read more about how DDD’s work is impacting communities read the article below about digital jobs in Africa.
Other stories that caught our interest this week include solar power on Reservations, the FERC chairman stepping down, a thought provoking analysis of what the Bowman vs Monsanto case could mean for our food system, and a crowdfunding campaign for an innovative solar powered water pump! Read these pieces and more about community development news after the jump.
In the News
- Three tribes go solar with help from DOE (Renewable Energy World)
- Minnesota Plants seeds for community solar gardens (Midwest Energy News)
- FERC Chairman, a champion of green power , to step down (Midwest Energy News)
- SunWater: Affordable Solar Powered Pumps for Poor Farmers – crowdfunding campaign (Indiegogo)
- Affordable Care Act could be good for entrepreneurship (New York Times)
- Africa: Digital Jobs offer skills, promise to Africa’s unemployed youth (All Africa)
Research, Analysis and Other Fun Stuff
- Bowman v Monsanto: The monopoly over the global food system (Haas Institute for a Fair and Inclusive Society at UC-Berkeley)
- Urbanism and the economics of fatal talent attraction (Sustainable Cities Collective)
- Breaking the cycle of Poverty in Ghana (The Rockefeller Foundation)