Praxia Partners empowers equitable and inclusive development
Richmond, California is the proposed home of UC Berkeley’s Global Campus, which has the power to dramatically improve – or degrade – the lives of the working class community of color. In order to advocate for the equitable development of the campus, we worked with UC Berkeley’s Haas Institute for a Fair and Inclusive Society. to craft the report “Anchor Richmond” and to create the Richmond Community-owned Development Entity. Community-owned Development Entities (CDEs) are mission-driven development organizations that can compete with both private corporations and public-private partnerships.
Praxia Partners’ Community Building Partners lends its business expertise to the Richmond CDE, which:
- Has a community benefits mission
- Is nonprofit
- Reinvests profits back into the community
- Incorporates public participation
- Has a majority of community members on its board
- Was shaped by insights from sixteen community organizations
- Reflects the unique vision and values of Richmond
Praxia Partners’ founder, Joe Recchie, serves as a founding board member.